Wednesday, August 20, 2008

City Park Fountain

So last night Zach and I went on a quest. “A quest?” you ask. Yes. A quest. For yarn. As the evenings get cooler and we get sporadic 60 degree afternoons in between our 80-90 degree days, I’ve decided to take up knitting again. And I’m going to begin with a retro-style afghan. So of course we had to go looking for the perfect yarn. Well, I went looking and Zach graciously went along. He even helped pick out colors, which was nice because he’ll have to look at this afghan spread out on our couch for the foreseeable future. We wandered around to four different stores (two Joanns’, one Michaels’, and one independent little store) before deciding on Vanna’s yarn. Yup, you heard right. Vanna White is endorsing yarn these days.

After our quest had been accomplished, we headed out to City Park for the relighting of the Prismatic Electric Fountain. It was first built in 1908 for the original Democratic National Convention. It is a fountain in the center of City Park’s lake that uses lights to create magnificent displays. It fell into disrepair over the years, and was finally shut down in the 90’s. Denver has invested close to 3 million in repairs, and last night was the unveiling of the new working fountain. It was spectacular to watch. The picture below was taken from the Denver Post, by the way. I can claim no credit.

Zach and I find that there is always something to do here. Even on a Tuesday night in the middle of August there is some event to go to, something new to see. And if there isn’t, then there is always an evening drive. The view still continues to amaze me. Last night we watched the sun set over the mountains, turning the entire sky this fantastic shade of orange. Zach and I are in love with our city, and while we miss our friends and family back east, I can’t see us returning to Ohio in the near future. Except to visit, of course…

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I miss you terribly and want to experience what you're experiencing! Mostly, I don't want a job that requires me to do lesson plans and grade crappy papers! :)

Ari